Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Blog Week Post 1

I chose Gate and Fences, after looking at the site the first thing I noticed was that there was a lot going on in the page, which made it very confusing to find anything for services that I may need. I think a way to improve this issue would to create an easier to read navigation tool, so that I can find what I would be looking for rather than try to read the small print. The next issue I see, is the overall aesthetic of the webpage design, there is nothing that catches my attention, no graphics or video not having any type of graphics can lead to a customer losing interest in the page and the pictures that are on the page are not high resolution so the quality in itself is very unappealing. I would try to clean up the page as a whole add photos to the dedicated landing page just to give potential customers ease when pulling up the page.  My last observation would be about the amount of wording on the page, if I were to see that much on a page, I would probably just go to the next page of my google search. A successful page needs to be inviting and well put together, a page like this can give me anxiety from the sheer amount of stuff going on in the page.

The next page I reviewed was Riverside Art Center. This page did not have as much going on as the previous page I mentioned however it too still had some fairly small issues that could be addressed for the better.  When scrolling through the page, some parts were hard to read due to the color scheme and the font color chosen for it, a simple change of font color I believe would remedy this first issue.  The other thing I noticed was the Facebook widget in the middle of the page, while I believe it is important to have your social media presence shown on your page, it should be more of an afterthought rather and a central part of the page, either moving it off to the side of the page or just adding their Facebook links would help out immensely. The last observation I had is when you first get on the page, it is clean and easy to read, however the content on the bottom of the page can get lost since it almost seems out of place for a landing page. Giving the information on the bottom of the page its own space would keep it cleanliness of the page as well as still providing more content to the rest of the site.

Next, I scrolled through the National Parks Service page, the graphics were amazing as parks can provide breathtaking scenery but the overall layout of the site was very appealing and made me want to continue browsing the site. Everything was laid out in a very respectful way, there was nothing unnecessary or overwhelming of the site which made this one of my favorite sites to browse.


Lastly, I scrolled through Apple as I have been a loyal customer of theirs for quite some time. They are second to none when it comes to their web design, the graphics are beautiful, the site is inviting and most of what you are looking for is easy to find thanks to the ease of the navigation. Although there was not much actual graphics, the design was very eye catching which is what you would expect from a company like Apple. 

3 comments:

  1. I also looked at the Riverside page and had the same complaint about their Facebook widget. It looked so out of place, and I am happy to see you caught the detail as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was great to know that I was not the only one that was confused bu that Gates N Fences website. I am not a customer of Apple but I have to admit that like you admitted, there website is on point. Good job on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gates and Fences website was too busy - and not particularly appealing. As you pointed out, the Apple and the National Parks Service websites are indeed amazing. Of course, they have a lot of money to create the best looking websites. Nonetheless, they are worthy of praise.

    ReplyDelete